Why You Should Know Him
- Born on the 4th of July in Boston, MA in 1942
- A bona fide member of Bill Monroe’s Bluegrass Boys, Mr. Rowan gets cowriting credits for one of Mr. Monroe’s greatest songs, “The Walls of Time“
- An important figure in spreading bluegrass music throughout the Northeast, California, and the development of progressive bluegrass
- A key collaborator of Jerry Garcia, Mr. Rowan undoubtedly influenced the development of modern-day JamGrass
- Guitar prodigy
- Bill Keith – Mr. Keith introduced Mr. Rowan to Bill Monroe
- Bill Monroe – Mr. Rowan was lead guitarist and singer for the “father of bluegrass” for a period between 1965-7
- David Grisman – A frequent early contributor for Mr. Rowan, Mr. Grisman is one of the all-time greats on mandolin
- Earth Opera – Psychadelic rock group formed with Grisman
- Muleskinner – A bluegrass “super-group” that included Grisman, Keith and others
- Old and in the Way – Jerry Garcia, Vassar Clements, Grisman and others
- Tony Rice – Frequent contributor in more recent years, Mr. Rice is a flat-picking God
- Peter-Rowan.com – Official site, includes biography, discography and tour dates.
- Mr. Rowan’s Wikipedia Page – A little more detail and background.
- Mr. Rowan’s Official Facebook Page – Connect with others that enjoy Mr. Rowan’s music and up-to-date news.
- Rex Foundation Spotlight – Dated but a great read, with quotes direct from Mr. Rowan and some nice editorial content.
Support This Site: Buy MP3s and Albums through the Amazon.com Associate Program using the links below! Previews below the table, courtesy of Spotify.
JamGrass.net Recommends - Peter Rowan's Albums & MP3s