Original Publish Date 11/22/2013
Railroad Earth is one of my favorite bands. Unlike some bands we’ll cover on this site, I have no doubt they could become one of your favorite bands. Their foundation is the songs. Their sound blends the best of many genres and has more crossover, mainstream potential than some of the bands more solidly rooted in bluegrass. Lets put it this way: I usually try to limit these features to twenty of twenty-five songs. With Railroad Earth I had a hard time getting it down to thirty-one.
Why feature Railroad Earth now? Lead songwriter, vocalist and acoustic guitarist Todd Scheaffer is on a solo tour and playing just down the street from my house at Smith’s Olde Bar in Atlanta on Sunday. Also of note, the band started taking pre-orders for their new album, Last of the Outlaws, due January 14, 2014. You can listen to samples here.
- Railroad Earth formed in 2001 out of Stillwater, New Jersey.
- One of their first performances took place at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival.
- Five of six band members are founders.
- Songs feature high-quality lyrical content, blend bluegrass/rock/jazz/celtic, and lead singer Todd Sheaffer’s voices is one of the best in the business.
- Live performances are a trademark, with top-flight musicians lending instrumental prowess to live improvisation and some of the best lighting/visual effects around.
- Todd Sheaffer – Acoustic Guitar, Lead Vocals
- Tim Carbone – Violin, Electric Guitar
- John Skehan – Mandolin, Bouzouki
- Andy Goessling – Acoustic Guitar, Banjo, Dobro, Mandolin, Lap Steel, Flute, Pennywhistle, Saxophone
- Carey Harmon – Percussion
- Andrew Altman – Bass
- Railroad Earth.com – Official site has bio, news, media, merch, and more.
- Railroad Earth on Wikipedia – A little more background.
- Railroad Earth’s Facebook Page – You know you like it.
- Railroad Earth’s Twitter Page – Read about the band in bursts of 160 characters or less.
- Railroad Earth’s Live Downloads Page – Buy high-quality live recordings.
- Railroad Earth at Archive.org – Free live recordings.